CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Synthetic Biology - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Synthetic Biology
- Do you have a PhD in synthetic biology, metabolic engineering and/or yeast or fungal microbiology?
- Keen to be part of "supercharging" current bioproduction secretion systems?
- Join the CSIRO Biocatalysis and Synthetic Biology Team and gain access to our new Biofoundry facilities
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
CSIRO Land & Water has an exciting opportunity for a new Postdoctoral Fellow to ‘supercharge’ current bioproduction secretion systems. Yeast expression systems have become globally important in the new era of bioproduction as they offer the advantage of production in systems with similar machinery/coding to animal and plant cells (as opposed to bacterial production routes) and can be grown as single cell cultures in large scale fermentation, generating a range of high value products.
This Postdoctoral Fellowship project seeks to engineer an enhanced microbial system for recombinant protein secretion. This project is an excellent opportunity for the Postdoctoral Fellow to explore cutting-edge, highly topical science, with an exceptional support team providing cross-disciplinary exposure and a depth of academic research and innovation experience.
Your duties will include:
- Using synthetic biology techniques to engineer eukaryotic microorganisms (yeasts/fungi) for the development of an enhanced recombinant protein production platform
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Recognising and exploiting opportunities for innovation and the generation of new theoretical perspectives, and progressing opportunities for the further development or creation of new lines of research.
- Utilising design thinking methodology to plan and prepare research proposals, and applying non-academic impact methodology to research projects.
- Carrying out research investigations requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
Location: Canberra, ACT
Salary: AU$88k - AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as synthetic biology, metabolic engineering and/or yeast or fungal microbiology. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Experience in metabolic engineering or recombinant protein production.
- Ability to thrive in a cross-cutting, multidisciplinary research environment.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
- A sound history of publication in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reports, grant applications or patents.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to for role, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or Australian temporary resident currently residing in Australia and be able to commence in the role by December 2021/January 2022.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
31 August 2021, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 31 Aug 2021
- ACT - Canberra
- AU$88k - AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: