National Collections Relocation Curatorial Technician - Multiple Positions - [Archived Advertisement]
National Collections Relocation Curatorial Technician - Multiple Positions
- 10+ full-time or part-time roles on offer – 30 month terms!
- Help streamline workflows and create efficiencies of scale
- Join the National Research Collections team and promote consistent national curation standards
CSIRO’s National Research Collections Australia (NRCA) discovers and characterises Australia’s unique biodiversity so that it can be conserved, managed and used for the benefit of our people, industry and environment in a changing world. The Canberra Collections Accommodation Project (CCAP) is a co-funded project with the Department of Education, Skills and Employment (DESE), to purpose-build a new research facility for NRCA on the CSIRO Black Mountain site. The building will include specimen preparation areas, curation laboratories, integrated genomics facilities and digitisation suites, and will guarantee long-term preservation of NRCA’s irreplaceable collections.
As one of our National Research Collections Relocation Curatorial Technicians, you will prepare the Collections for the move and assist with the relocation itself. As part of a team, you will work closely with other Collections staff and contribute to the relocation of 12+ million specimens spanning the Australian National Insect Collection, Australian National Wildlife Collection and the Australian National Herbarium. As well as the Collections, you will also be involved in the relocation of people and equipment, supporting collaboration and a national focus for collections-based science.
In this role you will:
- Complete a variety of tasks across the Australian National Insect Collection, Australian National Herbarium and Australian National Wildlife Collection.
- Undertake general relocation curatorial activities, under the direction of the National Collections Relocation Manager, including:
- transferring frozen samples into standardised, barcoded tubes
- sorting and accession of ethanol specimens
- re-jarring and/or transferring ethanol specimens into new storage systems
- cross-pinning dry specimens
- transferring dry pinned specimens into new unit trays and drawers
- rehousing and stabilising microscope slides
- preparing egg specimens with cotton support
- other preparatory curation activities
- updating relevant databases
- assisting with other decant activities including cleaning, consolidating and tidying-up
Location: Black Mountain (Canberra) ACT
Salary: AU$64k - AU$80k pa (pro-rata for part-time), plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: 30 months, full-time or part-time
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant certificate or work experience in Natural History collections curation.
- Sound knowledge and ability to work with, and handle, biological collection specimens.
- Ability and willingness to carry out tasks requiring accuracy and close attention to detail.
- Strong organisational skills, ability to prioritise demands, and escalate issues when required.
- The ability to work effectively in a team, positively contributing to the team environment.
- The ability to exercise initiative, identify and solve problems and adapt well to changing circumstances.
- The ability and willingness to lift, move, and carry objects / trays up to 6 kgs.
- The ability to work across two CSIRO sites – Black Mountain and Crace.
For full details about this role please review the ‘Position Details’
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Monday 9 August, 2021, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 09 Aug 2021
- ACT - Black Mountain
- AU$64k - AU$80k pa (pro-rata for part-time), plus up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time