Protein Mass Spectrometry Scientist - [Archived Advertisement]
Protein Mass Spectrometry Scientist
- Develop, maintain, and effectively utilise modern LC-MS platform technologies
- Perform accurate intact mass, native MS, peptide mapping and glycan profiling analysis of therapeutic proteins and bio-conjugates
- Work with leading international researchers in a flexible work environment
CSIRO’s Manufacturing Business Unit brings together multi-disciplinary scientific and engineering capabilities using world-class infrastructure to partner with industry in order to develop innovative products and processes to allow Australian manufacturers to be globally competitive and environmentally sustainable. The Biomedical Manufacturing Research Program works with biomedical companies to deliver new medical treatments and technologies that benefit millions of people in Australia and overseas, helping them live longer, healthier, and more productive lives.
As the Protein Mass Spectrometry Scientist, you will be involved in supporting a range of Biomedical Manufacturing projects, including early process development for CSIRO’s new Advanced Biologics Manufacturing facility for the cGMP production of biologics for clinical trials (Phase I and beyond). Our clients are Australian and overseas researchers and biotech and biopharmaceutical organisations, and our mission is to assist in the development of new biologics and to grow the local biotech industry. You will collaborate with technical experts in microbial or mammalian protein expression, purification, bio-conjugation chemistry, and the biophysical characterisation of recombinant proteins.
Your duties will include:
- Help to ensure that the Clayton Protein LC-MS platform operates safely, efficiently, and accurately.
- Assist in the commissioning, validation, and re-validation of LC-MS equipment.
- Contribute to the maintenance of facility equipment and digital systems, direct tasks, and liaise with internal or external technicians and application specialists to allocate activities, as required.
- Prepare samples, perform LC-MS analyses, process biotherapeutic mass spec data, maintain accurate records, and report quality results in a timely manner to meet production schedules and project deadlines.
- Under general direction, participate in planning projects and accept responsibility for the scheduling and completion of major parts of projects, including allocating and directing tasks where appropriate.
Location: Clayton, Melbourne
Salary: AU$85k – AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience in Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Biotechnology.
- Practical knowledge in protein chemistry and experience in LC-MS and/or proteomics sample preparation methods.
- Demonstrated experience in the operation, maintenance and application of analytical HPLC/ UHPLC (e.g. size-exclusion, ion-exchange, reversed-phase, hydrophilic-interaction chromatography, mixed mode chromatography) and/or mass spectrometry systems (e.g. ESI-TOF, nanoESI-OrbiTrap, MALDI-TOF).
- Ability to accurately interpret LC-MS data, investigate underlying issues and develop the most appropriate response to complex problems by adapting, creating, and testing alternative solutions.
- Demonstrated track record of working collaboratively within a team to achieve results, and in leading and directing research projects.
- Experience in the application of LC-MS- and LC-MS/MS-based methods is desirable, as is experience with integrated chromatography and/or mass spectrometry data analysis systems (e.g. Thermo Scientific Chromeleon/ BioPharma Finder, Bruker BioPharma Compass,
Waters Empower/ UNIFI, Protein Metrics Byos/ Byosphere).
- Experience with robotic liquid handling and automated sample preparation techniques is also beneficial.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
22 August 2021, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 22 Aug 2021
- VIC - Clayton
- AU$85k – AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time