Site Manager - Square Kilometre Array Low (SKA-Low) - [Archived Advertisement]
Site Manager - Square Kilometre Array Low (SKA-Low)
- Contribute your expertise during construction and operation of the SKA-Low telescope
- Uphold CSIRO and SKAO brands and reputation on site
- Be part of the most ambitious and challenging radio telescope project in the world
The Square Kilometre Array Observatory (SKAO) is a next-generation radio-astronomy facility that will revolutionise our understanding of the Universe and the laws of fundamental physics. It is one observatory with two telescopes – SKA-Low in Western Australia and SKA-Mid based in South Africa. SKAO is managed from its headquarters in the United Kingdom and has responsibility for SKAO construction and operation globally. Australia’s national science agency, CSIRO, and SKAO will operate the SKA-Low telescope in partnership.
As the SKA-Low Site Manager, you will be one of two SKA Site Managers; the other being Site Manager of SKA-Mid in South Africa. Supporting the Site Construction Director with daily execution of site management activities, you will ensure the work is governed by the Site Information Documents and Site Instructions to Contractors. As a member of a small site management team at the Murchison Radio-astronomy Observatory (MRO), your initial focus will be on management during the construction phase of the SKA-Low telescope. The role will also be a part of the Telescope Delivery Team, with line management to the SKA-Low Deputy Telescope Director (once in place).
The SKAO and S&A are committed to providing a safe and inclusive workplace culture and implementing initiatives to improve diversity and equity within our workplaces. This role is offered on a full-time basis, but job-share may be considered if circumstances permit.
In this role you will:
- Ensure the safe and timely delivery of SKA Contracts on site.
- Manage and chair the daily look-ahead meetings, and provide regular information and status reports to the Site Construction Director.
- Support the Site Construction Director in facilitating the execution of the construction plan.
- Work closely with SKA’s Telescope Host Country partner, the CSIRO’s MRO Site Entity team, to ensure integration and coordination with existing facilities on site.
- Represent the SKAO in communicating with the site entities.
- Raise, and monitor CEMAR for, Early Warnings (risks) and take action with Project Managers.
- Work with Infrastructure and Station PSC contractors who are acting as client’s (SKAO) representative on-site to manage and resolve issues.
- Uphold both the CSIRO and SKAO brands and reputation on site and drive resolution of interface challenges.
Location: Geraldton, Western Australia
Salary: AU$139k - AU$153k per annum (pro-rata for part-time/job-share) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite, full-time (job-share may be considered if circumstances permit)
Residency: Australian or New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents
To be considered you will need:
- A degree in engineering or construction management or a closely related field, or a minimum of approximately 10 years of demonstrated experience in a similar position with projects of this scale/nature.
- Construction site management experience, within a high-technology environment.
- The ability to manage overlapping constraints and jurisdictions for construction, as well as strict time schedules and competing priorities.
- The ability to build relationships, work collaboratively and manage complex professional relationships.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills.
- A detailed understanding of the Australian construction industry legislation and regulations.
- An Australian Class ‘C’ driver’s licence (or equivalent).
To see all the criteria required for success in this role, please see the Position Details
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Wednesday 18 August, 2021 (11pm AEST)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date
- Closing Date:
- 18 Aug 2021
- WA - Geraldton
- AU$139k - AU$153k per annum (pro-rata for part-time/job-share) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time