Coastal Wave-Flow Model Developer - [Archived Advertisement]
Coastal Wave-Flow Model Developer
- Use your expertise in SWAN or WW3 to improve simulated wave-current-water level processes
- Optimise and consolidate a third-generation spectral wave model within CSIRO’s Environmental Modelling Suite
- Flexible work arrangements! Mix of home and office
Understanding our oceans, coasts, climate and atmosphere is fundamental to Australia's sustainable development and prosperity. CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere undertakes science to ensure a healthy coastal and marine ecosystem and atmospheric environment now and into the future.
Working closely with Coastal Ocean Model Developers, the Coastal Wave-Flow Model Developer role requires an experienced wave modeler who understands the physics and numerics of wave models such as SWAN or Wave Watch III (WW3), and has highly-advanced model development and scientific programming skills to enhance, optimise and consolidate a third-generation spectral wave model within CSIRO Ocean and Atmosphere’s Environmental Modelling Suite (EMS, https://research.csiro.au/cem/software/ems/).
The position will work towards capitalizing on the two-way wave and circulation coupling within the EMS hydrodynamic core (COMPAS, https://research.csiro.au/cem/software/ems/hydro/unstructured-compas/) to improve wave-circulation and boundary layer processes. COMPAS operates on an unstructured mesh, and while two-way wave coupling has been accomplished (e.g. enhanced bottom drag, vertical mixing and radiation stress gradient/wave force), it would benefit from further development, potentially using spectral wave quantities rather than peak or mean aggregates, and selection of default turbulent process schemes.
Your duties will include:
- Use expertise in SWAN, WW3 or similar wave model to work with EMS/COMPAS developers to improve simulated wave-current-water level processes, as well as associated near-bed boundary layer processes at wave phase-averaged timescales;
- Work with EMS/COMPAS model developers to implement the wave model configuration and coupling scheme into EMS/COMPAS, including direct contributions to the EMS code base and associated documentation;
- Work with colleagues to create and follow model verification workflows for various study sites and conditions, and incorporate required improvement and modifications for further testing;
- Contribute to the interpretation and communication of results, including presentations, written reports and peer-reviewed publications for clients and the scientific and/or technology community;
- Participate in project planning and accept responsibility for the scheduling and completion of major parts of the project;
Location: Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, Canberra (Hobart or Melbourne preferred)
Salary: AU$85k – AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 2 years
To be considered you will need:
- Masters or PhD Degree in science, preferably with major subjects in mathematics, physics or engineering sciences, or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of source terms and numerical solutions to the (spectral) wave action balance equation and its application to common wave models (e.g. SWAN and WW3).
- Demonstrated proficiency in programming computational fluid dynamic routines in C/C++ and/or FORTRAN.
- Working knowledge of version control systems, e.g. Git/Mercurial.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. This role may also require a Security Clearance at the Baseline level.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter, CV and direct responses to the essential and desirable criteria listed in the position description (PD) that best demonstrates your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
15 August 2021, 11:00 pm AEST
We reserve the right to close the application period early if we find a suitable candidate
- Closing Date:
- 15 Aug 2021
- AU$85k – AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: