CSIRO Undergraduate Vacation Studentship - Information Management and Technology - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Undergraduate Vacation Studentship - Information Management and Technology
- Get hands-on research experience
- Access CSIRO's world-class facilities
- Apply for a CSIRO Vacation Studentship today!
Our Undergraduate Vacation Studentships are run over the Australian summer holidays and offer high achieving and promising undergraduate students the opportunity to collaborate with leading CSIRO researchers in our world class facilities.
Students will have the chance to work on a real project in science, technology or a related field such as science communication. Placements are full time and typically begin in late November or early December and can be from 8 - 12 weeks in length.
From smartphone apps and robotics, to wearable technology and next gen wireless, we're providing innovative information technology solutions that are helping to secure Australia's digital future. For more information please see our website at Information Management and Technology (link).
The Scientific Computing Services team have the following vacation studentship available:
Project Title: Quantum Computing and Communication
Location: Clayton, VIC
Scholarship: $1,622.86 per fortnight
The goal of the project is to use existing technology to explore quantum computing and quantum communication algorithms, with a focus on quantum error correction for achieving reliable computation on real devices, using quantum circuits.
Duties will include:
- Setting up the necessary software suite, including Qiskit and other platforms.
- Running typical quantum algorithms on simulators and real quantum computers.
- Understanding and running error correction algorithms.
Relevant Fields of Study
This project is best suited to students studying:
- Computer Science (Algorithms, OOP), Scientific Computing.
- Physics (quantum mechanics).
- Mathematics (linear algebra, operators, probabilities).
- Telecommunications (error-correcting codes).
- Good knowledge of Python, with basic understanding of object-oriented programming.
- Basic Linux skills (installing and using packages, writing and running computer codes).
- Good knowledge of linear algebra and probabilities, basic understanding of vector spaces and operators.
- General knowledge of quantum mechanics.
- Knowledge or interest in digital telecommunications.
Contact: For more details please contact Fanel Donea via email firstname.lastname@example.org
To be eligible to apply you must be an Australian or New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or an international student who has full work rights for the 8 to 12 weeks duration (does not require visa sponsorship).
Vacation scholarships are open to students who:
- are currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree at an Australian university;
- have completed at least three years of a full-time (or equivalent) undergraduate course (however exceptional second year students may be considered);
- have a strong academic record (credit average or higher);
- intend to pursue a research career in science or technology, or a career in a related discipline; and
- are available to undertake a full-time placement for 8-12 weeks over the university summer vacation period.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
To apply you will be required to:
- submit a Resume/CV and Cover Letter (as one document) in the ‘Resume/CV’ field which includes:
- the reasons why the research project/s you have selected are of interest to you and how your skills/knowledge meet the project requirements; and
- an outline of your longer-term career aspirations and how this program will help you achieve them.
- upload your academic results in the ‘Cover Letter’ field;
- in the ‘Education’ section select your university from the Educational Institute list;
- in the ‘Job-Specific Information’ section select ‘Not Applicable’ for both Preference 1 and Preference 2; and enter your Grade Point Average (GPA).
If you experience difficulties applying online call 1300 984 220 and someone will be able to assist you. Outside business hours please email: email@example.com.
Diversity and Inclusion
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
Wednesday 4 August 2021 at 11:00pm AEST
COVID-19 restrictions: We have many projects on offer across our sites and we hope to fill all of these positions, however please be aware that the COVID-19 restrictions could impact some projects. Depending on the restrictions in place we may not be able to proceed with some projects or we may be required to only consider students who reside closer to the location due to restricted interstate travel. We will endeavour to keep everyone informed of any changes as we progress through the recruitment process.
- Closing Date:
- 04 Aug 2021
- VIC - Clayton
- $1,622.86 per fortnight
- Work Type: