CSIRO Undergraduate Vacation Studentship - Sustainable Buildings - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Undergraduate Vacation Studentship - Sustainable Buildings
- Get hands-on research experience
- Access CSIRO's world-class facilities
- Apply for a CSIRO Vacation Studentship today!
Our Undergraduate Vacation Studentships are run over the Australian summer holidays and offer high achieving and promising undergraduate students the opportunity to collaborate with leading CSIRO researchers in our world class facilities.
Students will have the chance to work on a real project in science, technology or a related field such as science communication. Placements are full time and typically begin in late November or early December and can be from 8 - 12 weeks in length.
The environmental sustainability team (EST) has developed the Sustainability Strategy, and is currently overseeing the implementation of the programs set out under the strategy. It operates within the CSIRO Business and Infrastructure Services (CBIS) business unit, which provides a wide range of property, site and infrastructure services that enables CSIRO to operate efficiently, effectively and sustainably.
The EST has the following vacation studentship available:
Project Title: Smart Building Proof-of-Concept
Location: Clayton, VIC
Scholarship: $1,622.86 per fortnight
As part of the corporate Sustainability Strategy, CSIRO actively explores opportunities to apply our scientific research areas in our operations and facilities. The Environmental Sustainability Team (EST) is currently collaborating with the Energy Business Unit (EBU) to apply the Data Clearing House (DCH) platform in our facilities.
The i-Hub Data Clearing House (DCH) provides shared data management infrastructure for consolidating and integrating building-services data into one place, and for controlling data access to service providers. The Data Clearing House is intended to be a digital sharing platform, connecting building owners with companies who can provide various services using building data and associated metadata.
The candidate will be assisting with the implementation of a proof-of-concept smart building. This building shall operate in a way that reduces load for facilities management staff and improves the comfort of existing building occupants.
Duties will include:
- Review case studies of successful Smart Building Retrofits
- Review existing documentation and identify gaps in documentation
- Based on findings, propose a roadmap for the development of a CSIRO Smart Building
Relevant Fields of Study
This project is most suitable for, but not limited to students in the following field/s of study:
- Electrical, Mechanical, or Mechantronics Engineering, and Data Science
Detailed experience and knowledge of energy management and control concepts for energy efficiency and sustainability is highly desired.
Contact: For more details please contact Lina Juodelyte by phone 0475980917 or Email: email@example.com
To be eligible to apply you must be an Australian or New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or an international student who has full work rights for the 8 to 12 weeks duration (does not require visa sponsorship).
Vacation scholarships are open to students who:
- are currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree at an Australian university;
- have completed at least three years of a full-time (or equivalent) undergraduate course (however exceptional second year students may be considered);
- have a strong academic record (credit average or higher);
- intend to pursue a research career in science or technology, or a career in a related discipline; and
- are available to undertake a full-time placement for 8-12 weeks over the university summer vacation period.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
To apply you will be required to:
- submit a Resume/CV and Cover Letter (as one document) in the ‘Resume/CV’ field which includes:
- the reasons why the research project/s you have selected are of interest to you and how your skills/knowledge meet the project requirements; and
- an outline of your longer-term career aspirations and how this program will help you achieve them.
- upload your academic results in the ‘Cover Letter’ field;
- in the ‘Education’ section select your university from the Educational Institute list;
- in the ‘Job-Specific Information’ section select ‘Not Applicable’ for both Preference 1 and Preference 2; and enter your Grade Point Average (GPA).
If you experience difficulties applying online call 1300 984 220 and someone will be able to assist you. Outside business hours please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity and Inclusion
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
Wednesday 4 August 2021 at 11:00pm AEST
COVID-19 restrictions: We have many projects on offer across our sites and we hope to fill all of these positions, however please be aware that the COVID-19 restrictions could impact some projects. Depending on the restrictions in place we may not be able to proceed with some projects or we may be required to only consider students who reside closer to the location due to restricted interstate travel. We will endeavour to keep everyone informed of any changes as we progress through the recruitment process.
- Closing Date:
- 04 Aug 2021
- VIC - Clayton
- $1,622.86 per fortnight
- Work Type: