Technical Officer - [Archived Advertisement]
- Specialist agricultural and research support at Boorowa Agricultural Research Station
- Establish, maintain, and harvest field trials and undertake farm duties
- Join CSIRO, Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
Boorowa Agricultural Research Station (BARS) is a purpose-built 290 hectare facility that is helping develop Australian farms of the future by testing emerging technologies in crop science, agronomy and farming systems. BARS features the latest digital agriculture technologies such as precision agriculture, and remote and non-destructive phenomic crop monitoring. It continues CSIRO's long history in agricultural breeding and genetics, with hundreds of small plots dedicated to the development of new varieties of wheat, canola and grain legumes, as well as pastures. The facility also operates experiments on innovative agronomic strategies such as nutrient management, tillage and stubble management, crop and pasture sequences for mixed-enterprise systems, and sowing times.
As a Technical officer you will assist the CSIRO Agriculture and Food Business Unit conduct field research at BARS and other regional sites. You will establish, maintain, and harvest field trials using agricultural and specialised research machinery, undertake general farm duties and assist with the management of a sheep flock. In addition, this position will undertake activities in the digital agriculture space including the use of drones for research purposes, maintenance of sensor networks and geographic information systems. The ideal candidate will possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills and will be required to work under direction from senior technical staff with minimal supervision and integrate well as a team member.
Your duties will include:
- Maintain a high standard of technical support to research staff.
- Maintain vigilance over trial sowings, report problems and implement relevant control strategies.
- Maintain, calibrate, and operate specialised research and general farm machinery.
- Maintain and operate machinery safely and in accordance with workplace and government regulations.
- Provide research support with respect to digital agriculture technologies such as drone use, remote monitoring of environmental characteristics and mapping.
- General farm duties including irrigation, fencing, maintenance of stock water systems, weed control.
- Communicate effectively and respectfully with all staff and stakeholders, and work collaboratively with colleagues within your team, the business unit and across CSIRO, to reach objectives.
Location: Boorowa, NSW
Salary: AU$63k – AU$80k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- Extensive experience with agricultural plant and machinery operation and livestock management.
- Bachelor of Agriculture degree (or equivalent) with proven digital literacy with general Microsoft products or similar.
- Current Australian Manual Driver’s Licence and a Heavy Rigid Truck Licence with experience transporting heavy farming equipment.
- Demonstrated experience sowing and harvesting crops and maintenance of related equipment.
- Practical experience with research trials and knowledge of sound cropping rotations.
- Experience selecting and applying agricultural chemicals and willingness to use same.
- Possess advanced computer skills and the ability to keep and maintain accurate records, including the use of a geographic information system (ArcGIS or QGIS).
- Possess a current remote pilot licence (RePL) for drones up to 7kg.
- Qualifications including forklift licence, AQF3 chemical user certificate, first aid or equivalent is desirable, as is experience in the management of a self-replacing merino flock.
- Ability and willingness to stay at regional sites during seasonal activities such as sowing and harvesting is also desirable.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia’s national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
30 March 2021, 11:00 pm AEST/AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 30 Mar 2021
- NSW - Boorowa
- AU$63k – AU$80k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time