Research Scientist or Engineer - Carbon & Vegetation Modelling - [Archived Advertisement]
Research Scientist or Engineer - Carbon & Vegetation Modelling
- Apply your modelling expertise to carbon dynamics in soils and vegetation
- Contribute to research that will help reduce emissions and benefit all Australians
- Join CSIRO - Australia's premier science and innovation organisation.
This position represents an exciting opportunity for an experienced research scientist/engineer with well-developed skills in data analytics and mathematical modelling, to contribute in the area of Natural Capital Accounting, with a focus on working closely with government on carbon dynamics in soils and vegetation to inform policy around emissions reduction and accounting of greenhouse gas emissions.
As a senior member of the Carbon Cycling & Vegetation Processes team within CSIRO’s Land and Water business unit, you will contribute to a range of projects to develop landscape analytics and decision-making capability based on a core understanding of carbon, water and nutrient cycling in forest and landscape systems and how management of these systems is best influenced to maximize benefits to farmers, communities, and the nation.
More specifically you will:
- Contribute to and/or lead aspects of scientific projects, including the written and oral communication of results and their implications.
- Undertake research on terrestrial carbon accounting with a focus on data analytics, and contribute to development of the Australian Government’s Full Carbon Accounting Model (FullCAM).
- Conduct research that integrates process-based models with contemporary data streams to enhance industry and government decision making capabilities and capacity for risk assessment.
- Develop/use AI and machine learning technologies for landscape and forestry analytics and decision making.
Location: Canberra, ACT, Melbourne preferred (other locations may be considered)
Salary: AU$98k - AU$132k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as environmental science, vegetation ecology or closely related field.
- Demonstrated skills in data analytics and mathematical modelling, with proficiency in programming languages such as R, Python, C++, or other relevant programming languages.
- Demonstrated skills in modelling spatial data and GIS.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, including working constructively with colleagues, collaborators and/or clients.
- A publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and/or reports.
Note: This position is offered across two levels, for full details please view the position description document
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
14 March 2021, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 14 Mar 2021
- AU$98k - AU$132k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Environmental Science/Earth Science