Battery Experimentalist - Fabrication & Evaluation - [Archived Advertisement]
Battery Experimentalist - Fabrication & Evaluation
- Participate in electrode fabrication activities in this hands-on role
- Use your skills to contribute to improved lithium (ion) batteries
- Join CSIRO Manufacturing and make a difference!
CSIRO Manufacturing is seeking a motivated, enthusiastic Battery Experimentalist - Fabrication & Evaluation to join the Electrochemical Systems Team. You will contribute to commercial engagements that the team has with both Australian and international companies in the battery domain. The key outcomes for these engagements include materials development and improved lithium (ion) batteries for a range of markets and project deliverables.
In this diverse role, you will undertake day-to-day laboratory work where tasks include preparing electrode slurries, formulating new electrode coatings, coating of electrode materials on both our bench-top and pre-pilot scale coaters, electrolyte preparation, preparing cells and testing and evaluating both the materials and cells.
As the successful candidate, you will accurately record experiments and maintain quality records to be able to identify problems and triage issues as they occur. Your strong communication skills will be essential to provide updates to both internal and external stakeholders.
Your duties will include:
- Participating in all aspects of electrode fabrication activities.
- Device fabrication, both coin and pouch cells, using glove boxes.
- Performing battery cell testing and report the results.
- Undertaking pre- and post-service characterisation of materials and battery cells to identify problems and proposing potential solutions.
- Maintaining accurate and up-to-date records for track and tracing purposes.
- Contributing to regular project meetings and accurate reports for internal and external clients.
- Participating in regular maintenance of HSE documentation as appropriate, maintaining safe working practices and contributing to the regular maintenance of laboratory equipment and facilities.
Location: Melbourne (Clayton) VIC
Salary: *CSOF3 AU$63k – AU$80k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
*CSOF4 AU$83k – AU$94k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 2 years
*NB: This position is offered across two levels, the appointment level will be determined by the qualifications, skills and relevant experience of the successful candidate.
To be considered you will need:
- A relevant degree or equivalent relevant work experience in Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science, Materials Engineering or a related field.
- Laboratory experience in electrochemistry and/or battery development coupled with a proven commitment to HSE.
- Demonstrated experience in relevant materials processing and characterisation techniques with respect to battery development such as FT-IR, SEM, Raman, XRD, etc.
- Computer literacy and familiarity with MS Office Applications as well as other graphing packages such as Origin.
- A history of working collaboratively within a team to achieve results.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Good problem-solving skills and the ability to work on several projects concurrently.
For appointment at the higher salary level (CSOF4), as well as satisfying the essential criteria listed above, you must also have:
- Demonstrated experience in drafting technical reports for clients, especially the description of electrochemical and battery cell performance results.
- Development or use of Quality Systems for the tracking and tracing of components that are used in device fabrication.
- Evidence of experience in leading and directing projects.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
2nd March 2021, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 02 Mar 2021
- VIC - Clayton
- *CSOF3 AU$63k – AU$80k; *CSOF4 AU$83k – AU$94k + super
- Work Type: