- Are you ready for the next step in your career?
- Foster the development of emerging applications, inventions, and skills
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s premier science & technology research organisation
Commercialisation is a key supporting function of the CSIRO strategic goal of being Australia’s Innovation Catalyst. As Commercialisation Specialist – Astronomy and Space Science, you will identify commercially valuable ventures, inventions or scientific advances from within the CASS portfolio and protect, package and transfer them to industry for maximum impact for CSIRO and Australia.
The role reports to the CASS Program Director for Technologies. The successful candidate will understand and work within CSIRO’s commercial policies and build productive relationships within CSIRO’s Commercialisation, Business Development, Legal, Intellectual Property and Contract Administration teams. The output documentation will utilise CSIRO commercial tools and templates where they are available.
Your duties will include:
- Make an outstanding contribution as a supportive and influential team member, including the provision of exemplary team management, leadership and mentorship, to encourage new ideas and support the development of emerging applications, inventions, and skills.
- Actively participate as a member of the CASS management team, working collaboratively with colleagues across CSIRO to reach objectives.
- Using original concepts and approaches, resolve major, often unprecedented conceptual problems, which present a significant barrier to commercialisation opportunities.
Location: Marsfield, NSW
Salary: Attractive salary negotiable
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- Doctoral qualifications in physics (astronomy or space) or equivalent and demonstrable knowledge of new generation radio astronomy instrumentation. Broad knowledge of other scientific and engineering disciplines (including space science, astrophysics, remote sensing and/or space situational awareness) would be considered favourably.
- Professional experience and networks in the venture capital, innovation and entrepreneurial communities specifically in early stage (pre-seed) commercialisation of hardware, device and/or other deep science.
- Demonstrated knowledge and proven experience in commercialisation of radio astronomy and/or space science early stage research and development.
- Knowledge and/or experience in founding and operating a start-up or pre-revenue small business.
- Demonstrated experience building deep relationships to deliver an organisational/commercial benefit leading to increased revenue and/or funding for further scientific research.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across a large, complex organisation that delivers results and benefits to multiple areas of the organisation and/or enterprise wide.
- Demonstrated results in utilising strong commercial/business acumen with established internal and external networks to create financial opportunities for a large, complex organisation.
- Clear understanding of financial services licencing and obligations of representing commercial investment opportunities to investors.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a security clearance at the Negative Vetting Level 1
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Wednesday 14th October 2020, 11:00pm AEDT