- Are you passionate about a career in applied research or technology?
- Want to kick-start your career with an industry placement during your PhD?
- Apply for the UNSW-CSIRO Industry PhD Program!
The UNSW-CSIRO Industry PhD (iPhD) Program is an industry-focused, applied research training program that aims to produce the next generation of work-ready research and innovation leaders with the skills to work at the interface of research and industry in Australia. The program aims to provide an innovation and industry-focussed 4-year applied research training experience that gives graduates a competitive advantage across a broad range of future career paths.
The Industry PhD program has been developed to help bridge the ‘research-industry divide’ in Australia. Specifically the program addresses three key areas:
- Increasing the number of high calibre STEM graduates going on to applied research and technology careers
- Increasing innovation and industry-focussed, practical research training (to ensure that STEM research graduates are ‘work ready’)
- Providing more incentive and opportunities for Australian businesses to employ STEM researchers
Industry PhD Higher Degree Research candidates will:
- Undertake an industry-focussed, applied research project
- Be supervised by a team of three supervisors (CSIRO, UNSW and Industry) with expertise in applied research skills, knowledge exchange and industry
- Undertake an industry focussed training program with coursework and development activities
- Gain ‘real life’ industry experience through a six-month internship during their four-year candidature
Projects: Industry PhD projects are being offered on the industry-led research projects listed below, for details please see https://research.unsw.edu.au/industry-phd/
- Development of Microencapsulation technology for targeted delivery of enzymes in the gastrointestinal tract of ruminants
- Landscape Dynamics of regenerating forests: Predicting climate change impacts on carbon-farming projects in Australian rangelands
- The development and application of novel bioinformatic analytical tools to identify and monitor antimicrobial resistance patterns in sexually transmitted infections
- Genomic Newborn Screening
Location: Sydney, NSW (check project descriptions for details)
Scholarship: annual $41,000 Scholarship over four years, plus project research support funds of $12,000 per annum
To be eligible to apply you must be:
Applications will be assessed on:
- Experience relevant to the field of research, including any research experience
- Suitability for the project
- Academic excellence
- Motivation for undertaking an Industry-led PhD project
Full details are outlined on the UNSW website at https://research.unsw.edu.au/industry-phd/.
How to Apply:
Applications should be directed to UNSW. For details on how to apply, please see the UNSW website at https://research.unsw.edu.au/industry-phd/available-projects
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
Applications close: Friday 3 April 2020 (11.59pm AEDT)