- Do you have an interest in machine learning and artificial intelligence?
- Develop innovative concepts and ideas for further research.
- Join CSIRO’s Data61, the largest data innovation group in Australia
CSIRO’s Data61 is seeking to appoint two CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellows for their Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence: Spatiotemporal.
As the Postdoc Fellow, you will sit within the Spatiotemporal Activity and work closely with leading machine learning and artificial intelligence experts in Data61. You will work in collaboration with other CSIRO Business units to develop fundamental and transformative spatiotemporal machine learning/artificial intelligence algorithms and workflows for complex systems (e.g, agricultural, environmental, mineral, biosecurity, robotics). Since manual annotation of large, multimodal, high-dimensional spatiotemporal data is challenging, approaches to use large collections of unlabelled data to learn generic representations are important. Your research will focus on spatiotemporal encoding to ensure generalisation and transferability and algorithms that combine multiple sources of data with domain knowledge and constraints. This will be done within national and international settings, and as part of a diverse multidisciplinary team.
Your duties will include:
- Develop generalised methods for automating the analysis of spatiotemporal data to address problems of lack of labelled data, data sparsity, uncertainty and data integrations given the diversity of data types and scales.
- Implement these methods efficiently using programing tools such as PyTorch and TensorFlow.
- Carry out evaluation of the developed software to demonstrate its competitiveness and fitness for purpose. Taking responsibility for functionality, performance and robustness.
- Carry out high impact research of strategic importance to CSIRO, with the aim of achieving innovative and wide-reaching scientific outcomes and ideas for further research.
Location: Pullenvale, Brisbane
Salary: AU$83k - AU$94k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all essential criteria can be appointed.
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a Platform-relevant discipline area, such as machine learning, artificial intelligence, computer vision, computer science, statistics, data analytics, applied mathematics or applied physics.
Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- A history of professional and respectful behaviours and attitudes in a collaborative environment.
- Solid knowledge of machine learning, artificial intelligence and statistics, and the ability to understand and develop mathematically-founded machine learning algorithms and their development in toolkits such as TensorFlow or PyTorch.
- Demonstrated experience in developing machine learning algorithms for spatiotemporal datasets.
- High level computational and programming skills (in Python or C++) to build machine learning models and conduct analyses.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to effectively represent the research team internally and externally, including publishing in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reports, and presenting at national and/or international conferences.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, including the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations, preferably across diverse and inclusive teams.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a research team and to carry out autonomous research.
- A record of science innovation and creativity in the area of cyber security or related areas, plus the ability and willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
The successful applicant may be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
For more information please view the Position Description.
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish. D&I Strategy
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovation science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a response to criteria and CV that best demonstrates your motivation and ability to meet the requirments of this role.
Thursday, 20th February 2020, AEST 11:59pm