- Apply your experience of virology and tissue culture.
- Work in a world-class biosecurity research facility.
- Join CSIRO - Australia's premier research and innovation agency
CSIRO Animal Health Laboratory (AAHL) have an exciting opportunity for a suitably experienced Scientist to join their Biorisk Management Group
The Biorisk Management Group (BMG) is integral to delivering biosafety, biosecurity and biocontainment functionality at the AAHL Facility. The group consists of 13 specialised staff and has a key role in ensuring the continued biocontainment of the facility whilst ensuring safe and compliant working standards are adhered to in a highly regulated environment. The BMG is responsible for providing high level advice to staff and facility users on matters of biological security and safety.
This Biorisk Officer position sits within Biorisk Management Group (BMG) and is an additional role within the team that will help in the delivery of AAHL’s National Facility operating model. In this role you will support various functions for which the BMG have responsibility such as regulatory compliance, biosafety implementation, efficacy of inactivation studies and biocontainment microbiology.
You will work within the high containment (PC3) and maximum containment (PC4) laboratories with a diverse range of viruses and bacteria, and your activities will entail both laboratory-based research and compliance/regulatory aspects including research on various inactivation methods for a range of viruses, research in new decontamination methods. You will also assist the Biorisk Management Officer in the lead up to audits by various regulatory bodies, and with tasks including process and initial review of application submissions to the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC).
The position will require you to closely supervise and escort external personnel who may utilise the high containment laboratories, and to apply your knowledge in the various regulations and standards required by key government regulators under which AAHL operates, and participate in auditing and inspection activities for the Facility. You will also provide input into Biorisk Management Training Courses, train others where appropriate, and provide support and back-up other team members during leave and periods of peak demand.
You must abide by and promote AAHL’s microbiological security regulations and conduct work consistent with CSIRO’s Equal Employment Opportunity and Occupational Health, Safety & Environment principles.
Location: Geelong, Vic
Salary: $83K - $94K + up to 15.4% super
To be successful you will need:
- Degree in Biological Sciences relevant to this role.
- Demonstrated experience in Virology and Tissue Culture with a solid understanding of Risk Group categories of microorganisms and the risk control measures employed.
- Proficient awareness and knowledge of the standards for microbiological laboratories, regulations for work with Goods under Biosecurity Control and guidelines relating to Genetically Modified Organisms
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to influence team members and other staff at AAHL to ensure biological security and safety is maintained.
To be eligible for this position you must be willing and able to:
- Adhere to CSIRO AAHL microbiological security requirements, other Australian Security requirements applicable to the position.
- Be vaccinated against influenza, rabies, hepatitis B, Japanese encephalitis or other agents as specified if required for the role performed.
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish. D&I Strategy https://www.csiro.au/en/About/Policies-guidelines/Working-at-CSIRO/Diversity-strategy.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance https://www.csiro.au/en/Careers/The-CSIRO-Experience/Balance
At CSIRO we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
24 June 2019