- Do you want to be part of a successful cotton breeding program?
- Are you skilled in molecular biology?
- Join CSIRO Agriculture & Food and make a difference!
CSIRO Agriculture and Food is seeking a motivated research technician to join its Core Biotechnology research team.
In this laboratory-based role, you will support the breeding and deployment of new commercial cotton varieties from our highly successful breeding program based in Narrabri, NSW. You will help track a suite of GM and non-GM traits through breeding populations using advanced molecular and biochemical assays.
Your duties will include
- As part of a small team, undertaking high volumes of sample preparation for antibody-based ELISA assays of leaf or seed material and/or extraction of DNAs for trait genotyping and genome sequencing.
- Analysing cotton DNAs for presence/absence and zygosity of several different GM and non-GM agronomic traits.
- Troubleshooting to identify and correct any failures in assay results.
- Preparing reagents for all antibody and molecular biology duties.
- Undertaking general laboratory housekeeping and stock management in a shared laboratory space.
Location: Canberra (Black Mountain) ACT
Salary: AU$63k - AU$80k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term until 26th April 2020
To be successful you will need
- A diploma/bachelor's degree in molecular biology, biotechnology or genetics or relevant work experience.
- Experience in the preparation of molecular biology reagents and conducting molecular assays such as PCR assays.
- Experience in the use of equipment such as thermal cyclers, centrifuges and electronic pipettors and the ability to follow and, when necessary, optimise a written protocol.
- Demonstrated organisation skills and the ability to keep careful records of experimental work and basic computer skills for data entry and analysis.
- Good communication skills, a commitment to a high level of personal performance, a track record of following Health and Safety practices and the ability to be adaptable and flexible in assigned tasks as work priorities change.
- A history of professional and respectful behaviours and attitudes in a collaborative environment.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position Description
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
22nd May 2019
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.