- Do you have experience in developing novel flow chemistry methods for chemical synthesis?
- Would you like to send your experiments into Space?
- Join CSIRO and kick start your research career!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years’ relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
In this exciting Postdoctoral Fellowship, you will aim to establish on-orbit chemical and pharmaceutical manufacturing capability in Space. You will investigate novel flow chemistry technology and light harvesting catalytic reactions with synthesising medicines and advanced materials to meet the demand for long term space exploration, and interplanetary colonisation by humans. The new chemistries and flow technologies that you develop will be tested on the International Space Station.
Your duties will include
- Designing, developing and undertaking experiments focussed on the discovery of novel C-C bond forming transformations using visible light photocatalysis.
- Designing a flow chemistry platform for the synthesis of bioactive targets via the developed visible light photocatalytic methods.
- In collaboration with engineering teams, fabricating a flow chemistry platform compatible for deployment to the International Space Station (ISS).
- In collaboration with aerospace teams, leading the launch of the flow chemistry platform to the ISS, remote execution and monitoring of experiments, and real-time analysis of the reaction data in microgravity.
Location: Melbourne (Clayton) Victoria, Australia
Salary: AU$83k - AU$94k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be successful you will need
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as synthetic organic chemistry or chemical engineering.
- Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Experience in synthetic organic chemistry techniques including handling a range of different reagents and purification techniques.
- Experience in flow chemistry and reaction methodology development.
- The ability to use and interpret a relevant range of chemical analysis and characterisation techniques to elucidate the structure of organic compounds.
- High-level communication skills including the ability to present research outcomes at national and international conferences.
- A sound publication record in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers or reports.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position Description
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Wednesday 19 June 2019 (10:59pm AEST)