- Do you have a passion for chemical analyses?
- Use your skills to identify organic compounds in complex plant extracts
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s premier science & technology research organisation
CSIRO’s Manufacturing is seeking to appoint an analytical chemist initially for a 12 month appointment with the possibility of an extension.
As the successful candidate, you will use your analytical chemistry knowledge to assist with the solution of problems relating to the identification, detection and quantification of organic compounds in plant extracts and plant-derived mixtures.
You will contribute to chemistry projects focussed on new technologies important in the development of medicinal cannabis products.
The person appointed will need to lodge a National Police Check (CSIRO will reimburse all costs associated) and receive clearance before commencing.
Your duties will include
- Plan, propose and perform chemical analyses.
- Qualitatively and quantitatively analyse plant extracts and plant-derived mixtures using chromatographic techniques, such as HPLC, GC, LCMS and GCMS.
- In collaboration with other CSIRO staff, use scientific literature and NMR, mass spectroscopy and other relevant techniques, to identify organic compounds in complex plant extracts.
- Accurately record experimental procedures and data in laboratory notebooks in a timely fashion.
Location: Clayton VIC
Salary: AU$63,594 - AU$80,937 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 12 months
To be successful you will need
- A Bachelor’s degree in Science or equivalent, majoring in chemistry or having relevant work experience in chemistry.
- Demonstrated ability in the techniques of analytical chemistry and a sound theoretical knowledge of analytical chemistry.
- Demonstrated practical experience in chromatographic analytical techniques, such as HPLC and GC.
- Demonstrated skills in accurate and thorough record keeping.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position Description
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Wednesday 22 May 2019 at 11.59pm AEST