- Immerse Yourself in an Inclusive Culture
- Work with World Class Researchers to Solve the World’s Biggest Challenges
- Join CSIRO - Australia's Premier Science and Technology Research Organisation
The Scientific Computing group within the Information Management & Technology (IMT) function of CSIRO, is looking for a Scientific Workflow Engineer to support CSIRO’s computational and data intensive workflows. This will be carried out as part of the Technical Solutions team within the Scientific Computing group. You will provide scientific workflow support and services in diverse computing environments, and support the researchers in problem-solving to enable CSIRO science outcomes. You will collaborate closely with researchers to make the best use of CSIRO’s computing platforms and infrastructure. As a hands-on professional you will have an in-depth understanding of our computing services and capabilities as well as working experience in HPC and cloud computing.
This is an opportunity to work in a professional and technically challenging environment, supporting a diverse range of applications, to further the use of computation in science discovery.
Work may be required at other CSIRO sites within Australia.
Your duties will include
- Liaising with clients to determine their scientific workflow requirements responsibility for their satisfaction and correcting problems promptly and in a constructive manner
- Implementing and developing scientific workflows for a broad range of research applications
- Assisting clients in evaluating, optimising and transitioning existing scientific workflows to CSIRO’s scientific computing platforms, including HPC and cloud systems
- Managing CSIRO’s Galaxy bioinformatics system and providing user support, including Galaxy tools development and integration
- Utilising management expertise including the ability to plan, organise and monitor resources for CSIRO’s scientific workflow projects
Location: Clayton, VIC preferred (other CSIRO sites will be considered)
Salary: AU$82K - AU$93K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need
- Relevant trade certificate/diploma/degree or relevant work experience in scientific computing
- Experience in providing services to researchers, including engagement with them to determine workflow requirements and provide advice as required
- Experience in the design and implementation of scientific workflows that address a range of computation, data processing and visualisation needs
- Demonstrated background in the porting and deployment of scientific application workflows on HPC and/or cloud systems
- Background in Linux system administration
- Experience in the development of user documentation, technical guides and training materials
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively
- A Negative Vetting Level 1 (SECRET) Australian Government security clearance or have the ability to obtain one.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
22:59 AEDT 29 March 2019