- Join CSIRO - Australia's Premier Science and Technology Research Organisation
- Work with World Class Researchers to Solve the World’s Biggest Challenges
- Use your Skills and Make an Impact on CSIROs Energy outcomes!
CSIRO are seeking to appoint an experienced Geoscience Data Officer to support the delivery of major projects within the Oil, Gas and Fuels Program within our Energy Business Unit. This role (through close collaboration with project leaders, managers and scientists across the Program) identifies data management needs, determines the form of project outputs, supports projects directly (including in the field and at sea on marine surveys) and anticipates requirements for future data management.
Your duties will include
- Developing and managing MS Access databases and database applications
- Maintaining, setting-up and installing field, survey and computing equipment
- Developing and managing GIS projects, map figures and templates
- Making significant contributions to the interpretation and communication of research or technological results
- Participating in the planning of projects and accepting responsibility for the scheduling and completion of major parts of projects, including allocating and directing tasks where appropriate
- Providing coaching, on-the-job training and instruction to colleagues, on activities pertaining to the immediate work area and responsibilities
- Adapting and/or developing original experimental methods, equipment, software, concepts and ideas in support of existing and further research
- Participating in marine surveys and field work.
Location: Kensington, WA
Salary: AU$82K - AU$93K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 2 years with potential to extend
To be successful you will need
- Experience with the operation and development of Microsoft Access database applications, including coding in VBA and setting up the associated hardware and peripherals (computers and field equipment)
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS software suite, the organisation of GIS projects and production of map images
- Demonstrated ability coping with ambiguity and being able to adapt readily to changing circumstances and new responsibilities in the interests of achieving team objectives
- Proven experience in accurately and efficiently recording data through the use of strong organisational skills and attention to detail
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and carry out tasks under general direction from scientific researchers
- The ability and willingness to contribute novel ideas and approaches in support of scientific investigations.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Technology or relevant work experience.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
10:59 AEDT 17 February 2019