- Are you a highly motivated recent (or near) PhD graduate with expertise in electrochemistry or similar?
- Prestigious Postdoctoral Fellowship on offer - kick-start your research career
- Join CSIRO Mineral Resources - help grow Australia's resource base
CSIRO Mineral Resources is seeking to appoint a Postdoctoral Fellow for Microbattery Development to work alongside our scientists in the Electrochemical Processing team. The Electrochemical Processing team in CSIRO Mineral Resources is focussed on developing a power source for a standardized, scalable sensor platform useful in a range of microsensing applications.
In this position you will join CSIRO Mineral Resources and work with our collaborators in CSIRO Energy, Manufacturing and Data61 to deliver microbatteries by executing the agreed battery design strategy.
You will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team comprised of electrochemists, synthetic chemists, modellers and engineers to help with project delivery. We are therefore seeking to recruit a scientist with multi-disciplinary skills (electrochemistry, synthetic chemistry and materials chemistry) to conduct cutting-edge research.
Your duties will include
- Under the direction of senior research scientists, carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Your primary responsibility is to work within the Electrochemical Processing Team and contribute to the development of the microbattery component of the sensor platform. Tasks will include:
- Develop, synthesise and evaluate novel electrolyte systems
- Develop electrode components suitable for integration onto the microstructure scaffold and integration with preferred electrolyte system
- Integrate all battery materials and demonstrate a functioning device
- Assist with the design, development, fabrication and testing of microbattery prototypes.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues within the multi-disciplinary research team, the business unit and across CSIRO to deliver project objectives.
Location: Clayton, VIC
Salary: AU $82K - AU $93K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term of 2 years
To be successful you will need
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as electrochemistry, electroanalytical chemistry, electrochemical engineering, and material chemistry.
Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 4 years of relevant postdoctoral experience.
- Sound knowledge of electrochemical science, including its practice in a research environment and applications such as battery technologies.
- A good working knowledge of material requirements for electrochemical applications.
- Sound knowledge and research experience in modern laboratory methodologies, including materials synthesis and characterization (e.g. SEM, XRD, synchrotron-based measurements and spectroscopy).
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position Description
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Sunday 17 February 2019, at 11.59pm AEDT