- Contribute to high impact research that reduces greenhouse gas emissions and energy costs
- Work closely with software engineers, researchers and industry collaborators
- Join CSIRO Energy and deliver solutions to complex problems
CSIRO Energy is seeking to appoint a skilled and enthusiastic Junior Software Engineer.
As the successful candidate, you will work closely with a team of electrical engineers, data scientists, computer scientists and software engineers to design, build and deliver the technologies that drive down greenhouse gas emissions, maximise the uptake of renewables, and reduce the cost of energy for Australians.
You will contribute to the development of the next generation of the Energy Use Data Model (EUDM), which includes a set of software systems and technologies for unifying, linking, visualising and sharing energy data. You will interact with some of Australia's largest industries, meet with researchers and scientists from around the world, and deliver practical solutions to challenging, complex and rewarding problems.
Your duties will include
- With guidance from senior engineers, work with stakeholders to understand system requirements, develop and test software solutions, and provide system support as required.
- Develop and document software that is used by our researchers and our external clients.
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary, often regionally dispersed research team, to carry out tasks under limited direction in support of scientific research.
- Adapt and/or develop original experimental methods, equipment, software, concepts and ideas in support of existing and further research.
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Salary: AU$62k - AU$79k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 2 years
To be successful you will need
- A Bachelors or Masters degree, or equivalent experience, in software engineering or a relevant discipline area.
- Familiarity with relational databases, server-side programming and Linux.
- Familiarity with modern software engineering tools and practices, including the use of version control systems and testing tools/methodologies.
- Ability and willingness to contribute novel ideas and approaches in support of scientific investigations.
- A passion for helping Australia transition to a clean energy future.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
This is a re-advertised position, previous applicants need not apply.
18 January 2019