- A leading role in providing the scientific vision, leadership and direction to the CSIRO Energy Business Unit
- Combine your established reputation and leadership experience to develop strategic capability and effectively achieve CSIRO’s strategy
- Join CSIRO! Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
The Energy Business Unit is one of nine impact science Business Units in CSIRO with over 450 staff working across Australia. Our goal is to deliver solutions that will enhance Australia’s economic competitiveness and regional energy security while enabling the transition to a lower emissions energy future.
In the role of Deputy/Science Director you will work closely with the Business Unit Director partnering to achieve the scientific vision and demonstrate your leadership while ensuring the Business Unit and CSIRO remain scientifically competitive. You will lead the development and implementation of a strategic capability plan including people and scientific/engineering infrastructure ensuring appropriate evolution with the Energy Business Unit and CSIRO’s strategic direction.
Your duties will include
- Impact Science Leadership: including fostering an environment of science excellence and innovation, contributing to strategic planning, driving science/engineering capability, develop new science platforms and ideas, and being a member of CSIRO’s Science Council.
- Capability Leadership: including health and safety, mentoring and coaching, developing leadership capability and succession planning, fostering collaboration and innovation.
- Resource Leadership: including medium to long term planning for infrastructure and assets, effective prioritisation and deployment of resources, and management of staff.
- Engagement and Partnerships: including managing relationships with collaboration partners and stakeholders to advance CSIRO’s interests and goals, international and national representation of CSIRO and the Energy Business Unit, creating opportunities for collaboration and building strategic alliances with industry, and fostering an environment for staff to build their commercial skills and business acumen.
Location: Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane or Newcastle
Salary: AU $210k plus up to 15.4% superannuation, motor vehicle allowance and bonus
Tenure: 3 year term
To be successful you will need
- Established reputation in research, engineering and/or technical industry, with experience in the Energy domain.
- Evidence of successful leadership of platform, discovery and impact science/engineering at the scale of the Energy Business Unit.
- Evidence of strong engagement skills and strategic relationship management that grows new science/engineering opportunities and supports commercial outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to attract, retain, empower and develop world class talent and to promote wellbeing and foster cross organisational capability.
- A track record in supporting a senior leader in optimal positioning, organisational alignment and science delivery in the national interest.
- Demonstrated track record in planning for science/engineering infrastructure to meet short and long term needs.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
January 20, 2019