- Are you passionate about the social sciences and understanding the ethical, social and legal consequences of new and disruptive science and technologies?
- Want to access CSIRO's world class facilities?
- Apply for the CSIRO - UQ Responsible Innovation PhD Program!
The CSIRO-UQ collaboration on Responsible Innovation was established to build and raise the profile, scale and credibility of social science expertise in the ethical, social and legal consequences of new and disruptive science and technologies in the Australian innovation system.
The CSIRO-UQ Responsible Innovation PhD program provides an opportunity to attract eight outstanding graduate students with a strong interest in applied social science. This PhD cohort, all focused on exploring similar governance questions and societal challenges but across multiple technology platforms, provides a rich research environment that delivers valuable scholarly and applied outcomes across multiple disciplines and research organisations. PhD students will be jointly supervised by experts from both UQ and CSIRO.
Eight scholarships are available with six available to Australian Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents and New Zealand citizens and the other two scholarships available to international or domestic students. This group will form a CSIRO-UQ Responsible Innovation cohort. Each of the eight students will work on one of the eight projects below.
- Decision-making, uncertainty and risk communication about novel biotechnologies
- You are what you eat: Understanding uptake of new personalised foods for improved health
- Individualised preventative health, privacy and consent
- Using AI and Indigenous knowledge to make better environmental decisions
- Shaping the digital revolution in agriculture: understanding ethical, legal and social implications
- The impact of cultural diversity on the development and use of novel biological systems
- Understanding consumer perspectives on novel and future health technologies
- Using probabilistic information for decision making in resource evaluation & environmental impact
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Scholarship: $32,096 per annum for up to four years, plus project research funds of $16,000 over the course of your candidature
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Eligibility requirements for the UQ PhD program must be met and these are in addition to the preferred academic background of the ideal candidate listed against each of the projects.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
How to Apply
For details on individual projects and how to apply, please see the University of Queensland website: https://graduate-school.uq.edu.au/csiro-uq-ri.
31 January 2019