- Learn while you earn
- Achieve a National Certificate qualification
- Great work environment for people starting their careers
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Traineeship Program is an initiative of the CSIRO Indigenous Engagement Strategy which seeks to significantly increase Indigenous employment nationally within CSIRO. Through this strategy, CSIRO aims to enhance the educational, employment, training and career development opportunities for people of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent.
An opportunity exists for a trainee to join CSIRO Agriculture and Food to undertake a workplace-based traineeship. In this role you will be responsible for supporting and actively contributing to the activities of the Farm Team, including assisting with all aspects of routine animal husbandry procedures and general farm maintenance tasks while ensuring appropriate levels of quality service.
Over the course of the traineeship, the successful applicant will undertake on-the-job training and complete a Nationally Accredited Qualification relative to their position. The course fees for this qualification will be paid for by CSIRO. Upon successful completion of the training package the trainee will be considered for further employment with CSIRO subject to the availability of a position.
Your duties will include
- Assisting with all aspects of routine animal husbandry procedures for both sheep and cattle with accuracy, precision and attention to detail.
- Assisting with general farm maintenance tasks and facility/infrastructure upgrades, such as experimental pens, yards, fences, water lines, tanks and livestock watering points.
- Monitoring livestock to ensure animals are maintained in a healthy state.
- Mustering animals in time for animal husbandry procedures and research activities.
Location: Armidale, NSW
Salary: AU$23,459 to AU$26,001 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Duration: Specified term of approximately 24 months depending on course of study
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position Description
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Open to people of Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent (Confirmation of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent will be required prior to confirming the traineeship).
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
You will be requested to provide:
- A resume and cover letter advising why you are interested in the traineeship with CSIRO; and
- Confirmation of Aboriginality and/or Torres Strait Islander descent (this can be provided later if necessary).
Applications Close: 25th February 2019