- Are you passionate about making a difference using data and network science?
- Prestigious Postdoctoral Fellowship on offer - kick-start your research career
- Join CSIRO's Data61 - Australia's largest data innovation group
Postdoctoral Fellowships at CSIRO provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships will help launch their careers, provide experience that will enhance their career prospects, and facilitate the recruitment and development of potential leaders for CSIRO.
Postdoctoral Fellows are appointed for up to three years or part time equivalent and will work closely with a leading Research Scientist or Engineer in their respective field. They carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO with the possibility of novel and important scientific outcomes. They present the findings in appropriate publications and at conferences.
The successful candidate will work on data and network science approaches to predicting the risk of disease spread in Australia, including infectious and vector-borne diseases. The project will use large national-scale datasets to understand people movement as a determinant of disease risk.
Location: Pullenvale, QLD
Salary: AU $80K - AU $91K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term of 3 years
To be successful you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Data Science, Network Science, or Statistical Physics. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years of relevant postdoctoral experience.
- Demonstrated experience in data science, network science, and/or mobility modelling.
- Demonstrated experience in agent-based simulations and machine learning approaches.
- Demonstrated ability to extract meaningful insights from large and complex datasets, and to think analytically and creatively in identifying emergent patterns.
- Demonstrated ability to program in Matlab, python, or similar.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, plus the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
Before applying, we encourage you to read the full position description for this role. This document can be viewed at:
Position details document
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today - for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more! CSIRO Balance
How to Apply: To apply, please provide a CV as well as a cover letter addressing the selection criteria in brief, and upload these as one document. If your application proceeds to the next stage you may be asked to provide additional information.
Applications Close: Applications will close 10:59pm (AEST) on Sunday 18th February 2018.