- An outstanding opportunity to launch your research career at CSIRO
- Work with leading scientists in world-class facilities
- Join CSIRO - Australia's premier science & technology research organisation
Postdoctoral Fellowships at CSIRO provide opportunities to scientists and engineers, who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships will help launch their careers, provide experience that will enhance their career prospects, and facilitate the recruitment and development of potential leaders for CSIRO.
The fellow will join a research team working on new analytical tools and low cost data sources for addressing environmental crime generally, and illegal fishing in particular (see research.csiro.au/mcsanalytics). The research focus for the position will be analysis of compliance behaviour, using a range of datasets on behaviour of vessel operators at sea.
The fellow will focus on a mixture of analysing existing data sets and developing new datasets to address these questions. Datasets will be drawn from domestic and international sources. Where possible, inferences will be supported by follow-up surveys and natural experiments as management interventions occur.
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Salary: AU $80K - AU $91K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be successful you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, including but not limited to Statistics, Criminology, Applied Ecology, Biodiversity Conservation, Fisheries, or Psychology.
- Excellent analytical skills (programming in R, experience with GAMs, GLMs, GIS, data manipulation with large, complex datasets), interpretation.
- Strong science communication skills as evidenced by publication record.
- Experience with analysis and interpretation of data in the project domain.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, plus the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
Owing to the terms of CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowships, you must have no more than 3 years relevant postdoctoral experience.
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate
CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere
CSIRO’s Ocean and Atmosphere research is uniquely placed to deliver significant economic, social and environmental benefits for Australia and the region. We seek to secure Australia’s future through our seas and skies.
Find out more: https://www.csiro.au/en/Research/OandA/About
Before applying please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position Details
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you.
Find out more here! CSIRO Balance
How to Apply: Please upload ONE document only that includes a resume/cv and a statement addressing the selection criteria.
Applications Close: 5:00 pm AEDT, Sunday 3 December 2017