- Contribute to the provision of animal husbandry, handling and care
- Take responsibility for the preparation, cleaning, supply and maintenance of animal rooms
- Join the team at CSIRO Australian Animal Health Laboratory (AAHL)
You will provide assistance and support to the capability for use of animals for research purposes within the microbiologically secure containment facility at the CSIRO Australian Animal Health Laboratory (AAHL). You will have responsibilities which include the provision of adequately prepared experimental animal rooms which are suitably prepared, supplied, maintained, cleaned and equipped to support scientific research. When required they will also contribute to the provision of animal husbandry, assistance with animal handling, promotion of animal welfare and development of quality assurance systems.
All staff working in this environment must pass security, medical and psychological checks.
CSIRO is committed to Diversity and Inclusion in the work place and to increasing the employment of Indigenous peoples in our organisation. We encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to consider applying for this role.
Location: Australian Animal Health Laboratory (AAHL), Geelong, VIC
Salary: $61K - $78K pa plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need:
- Demonstrated experience of working on farms and/or with animals and equipment in a research, diagnostic or agricultural environment.
- Demonstrated competence in routine husbandry procedures for domestic livestock, laboratory animals and wildlife.
- General “DIY” skills, and the ability to lift heavy (>20kg) items and perform physically demanding tasks such as cleaning.
- Willingness to work with animals infected with zoonotic disease agents and to undertake appropriate training (this will involve wearing fully encapsulating suits connected to a clean air supply and strict adherence to safety and biocontainment protocols.)
- Demonstration of strong organisational skills and an ability to perform practical tasks according to protocols and on schedule.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team and carry out tasks under general direction from Senior Technical Staff.
- Knowledge or interest in building management systems and the technical applications required to operate a pressure controlled building would be an advantage.
To be eligible for this position you must be willing and able to meet the Medical, Security Assessment and Micro-Security Requirements for Personnel Working on the AAHL Site as specified in the Position Details document.
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
AT CSIRO WE INVENT THE FUTURE
We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Our solutions make a difference to industry, people and the planet.
As Australia’s national science agency, we’ve been pushing the edge of what’s possible for almost 90 years. Today we have thousands of talented people working across Australia and internationally. Our people work closely with industry and communities to leave a lasting legacy. Collectively, our innovation and excellence places us in the top ten applied research agencies in the world.
WE COLLABORATE TO INNOVATE
CSIRO Australian Animal Health Laboratory (AAHL)
AAHL helps protect Australia’s multi-billion dollar livestock and aquaculture industries, and the general public, from emerging infectious disease threats. It is a high-containment facility designed to allow scientific research into the most dangerous infectious agents in the world.
How to Apply: To apply for this position please upload ONE document only that includes your CV/resume, cover letter and a statement addressing the selection criteria. Please upload these as ONE document.
Before applying please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position Details
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you.
Find out more here! Balance
Applications Close: 10:00pm AEST, 17 September 2017