- Key Leadership role in the Climate Science Centre & the Earth Systems & Climate Change Hub
- Contribute to strategic capability planning
- Lead and direct negotiation of complex & contentious research matters
The CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere is seeking to fill a Senior Climate Scientist role with two high-level purposes: provide outstanding climate science expertise and leadership to the Climate Science Centre (CSC) and lead the NESP-funded Earth Systems and Climate Change (ESCC) Hub - at least to the end of the current Funding Agreement, which is June 2021.
As Earth Systems and Climate Change Hub Leader, you will be required to provide scientific leadership for the Earth Systems and Climate Change (ESCC) Hub. You will develop and deliver a research portfolio that addresses the research priorities of the Department, the Hub partners and key stakeholders. You will ensure that the Hub engages with the broader Earth system and climate change stakeholder community, and the NESP research community more generally, to ensure the Hub’s research addresses their climate change challenges and that the research outputs are communicated effectively and expected outcomes and impacts are realised.
As a Senior Climate Scientist within the CSIRO Climate Science Centre (CSC), you will be required to identify opportunities for the Climate Science Centre to realise value and impact from its world-leading climate, oceans and atmospheric science capability. You will work with other leaders in the Centre to implement the CSC Strategy, advancing knowledge of climate variability, change and impacts in the Australasian region and building a strong external revenue pipeline. The Senior Climate Change Scientist will also play a lead role in ensuring the CSC continues to invest in high quality and relevant climate system research outputs, impacts and capability
Location: Negotiable: Hobart, Melbourne or Canberra, Australia
Salary: An attractive remuneration package will be offered
To be successful you will need:
- A doctorate and or equivalent research experience in a relevant Earth System Science discipline area, such as climate, atmospheric or ocean sciences.
- An outstanding record of quality publications as a leading or contributing author in high impact, peer-reviewed journals.
- An international reputation as a researcher in a relevant Earth System Science domain (i.e. climate, atmospheric or ocean science).
- An exceptional record of science innovation and creativity plus the ability to apply well developed research skills to scientific investigations and applications of significant consequence.
- Demonstrated ability to create and manage strategic alliances through your experience in building successful collaborative partnerships across agencies, and working as a trusted advisor to government.
- Experience in successfully leading a large and complex research project/program (across disciplines and/or agencies) that involves a significant number of staff and projects/activities.
Before applying please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position Details
Earth Systems and Climate Change Hub
The Earth Systems and Climate Change Hub is a research consortium across CSIRO, the Bureau of Meteorology, UNSW, Univ Melb, ANU, Monash and UTas. This partnership between Australia’s leading climate, atmosphere and ocean researchers will address significant challenges relating to the causes and impacts of climate change, variability and extremes in Australia.
CSIRO and the Climate Science Centre
The CSIRO Climate Science Centre is a research program of about 100 staff working in CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere. The Centre brings together the core of CSIRO's capability in climate modelling and observations of the atmosphere and ocean. The mission of the Centre is to deliver the climate knowledge Australia needs to inform an effective national response to the challenges of a variable and changing climate.
More information on the Climate Science Centre is available here
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more! CSIRO Balance
How to Apply: To apply for this position please include with your CV/Resume a statement addressing the essential criteria, and any other information that is relevant to the position. Please upload these as one document.
Applications Close: The role will be remain open until filled