Senior Scientist - Engineering nitrogenase into plants
- Conduct innovative research to engineer plants with a functional nitrogenase
- Build & maintain a diverse team of scientists, technicians & students
- Ensure a clear path to market for commercialisation of the GM trait
CSIRO Agriculture and Food is seeking an experienced Senior Scientist to co-ordinate the expression of numerous bacterial genes into plants for the assembly of a functional nitrogenase. You will be responsible for designing and critically assessing a range of experimental approaches spanning plant synthetic biology, metalloprotein biochemistry, proteome, transcript and metabolome profiling to engineer a functional pathway into eukaryotes. You will work closely with a multi-disciplinary project team spanning plant molecular biology, metabolic engineering, computer-aided protein modelling and analytical biochemistry. The role will have access to world leaders in plant metabolic engineering and modern instrumentation.
Location: Black Mountain ACT
Salary: $106k to $124k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: 3 years
Ref no: 41201
To be successful you will have:
- A doctorate or equivalent research experience in a relevant discipline area, such as molecular biology in plants.
- Demonstrated experience in all levels of plant molecular biology including transgene based metabolic engineering into subcellular organelles.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the biogenesis of bacterial nitrogenase.
- Demonstrated experience in understanding the regulation of metabolic pathways in plants, including endogenous and transgenic pathways and methods for optimising expression.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically to achieve patentable and publishable scientific outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, and/or contribute to, large complex projects and provide scientific direction and leadership to multidisciplinary teams to achieve high impact.
Before you apply, please view the full position details and selection criteria click here: Position Details Document
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. Our innovations contribute billions of dollars to the Australian economy every year. As the largest patent holder in the nation, our vast wealth of intellectual property has led to more than 150 spin-off companies. With more than 5,000 experts and a burning desire to get things done, we are Australia’s catalyst for innovation. CSIRO. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
Applicants are encouraged to look at the following resources that outline the project, including a video (https://vimeo.com/207743788) and publication (http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fpls.2017.00287/full).
How to Apply: Please provide a succinct expression of interest with information relevant to the selection criteria for this position to enable the assessment panel to determine your suitability, along with your CV/Resume. Please upload one document containing your CV/resume and expression of interest.
Applications close: 11:59 AEST on 27 June 2017