- Explore the future of Australia’s farming systems
- Analyse connections between economic activity, energy, resources and food & land use
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s premier science & technology research organisation
CSIRO seeks to appoint two senior economists providing leadership in natural resource and environment analysis, policy, and modelling. We are seeking individuals with recognized expertise and an emerging international reputation, with knowledge across one or more of agricultural economics, sustainable resource use, biosecurity, drivers and impacts of climate change, economic modelling, and multi-model integrated assessment.
In the biosecurity and agricultural economics area, we are seeking a research leader who will address complex interlinkages between resource use, economic drivers, social and technological change, and sustainability in agriculture, working in a stimulating interdisciplinary setting. This work will leverage CSIRO’s world-leading biophysical research in agriculture, biosecurity, and landscape systems. An ideal candidate will accept the challenges of exploring the future of Australia’s farming systems and/or the biosecurity risks and opportunities posed by our unique environment and position in the world. Research will explore how to maintain agricultural profitability when faced with plant and animal biosecurity threats and impacts.
In the integrated economic modelling and policy area, we are seeking a candidate who understands the connections between economic activity, energy, resources, and food and land use, and who is interested in analysing these at national and global scales decades into the future. An ideal candidate will play a key role in CSIRO’s multi-model integrated assessment framework, leading the development and use of Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) whole-of-economy models, in collaboration with teams responsible for technology based models for energy, and spatial models for land use, fresh water, and biodiversity. Research will explore the potential for decoupling economic growth from environmental pressures and impacts though ambitious policies for resource efficiency and greenhouse gas abatement.
Location: Black Mountain ACT
Salary: $124K - $141K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: 2 Positions:
1 x Indefinite
1 x 2 year appointment
Please note: Applicants with less experience are encouraged to apply as they may be appointed at a lower level.
To be successful you will need:
- Demonstrated strong conceptual and analytical knowledge including high-level quantitative skills in one or more domains including environmental and resource economics, CGE economic modelling, model integration, and policy design and evaluation.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills and demonstrated experience. This should include leadership of interdisciplinary research teams and projects and ability to foster high levels of cooperation and collaboration.
- A track record in the development of innovative impact oriented research projects addressing public policy problems including relevant business development.
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today - for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
How to Apply: Please provide enough information relevant to the selection criteria for this position to enable the assessment panel to determine your suitability, and upload one document containing your CV/resume and cover letter.
Before applying please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position Details
Applications Close: 11:59pm AEST, Sunday 7 May 2017