Geospatial Software Engineer - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO - Data61 (View other jobs from this organisation)
Geospatial Software Engineer
- Help solve big, complex problems that make a real difference
- Innovative and collaborative workplace with fantastic flexibility
- Join CSIRO and support Australia's premier scientific organisation!
CSIRO’s Data61 is at the forefront of developing a range of geospatially focussed modeling and analytics products in the Natural Hazards and Climate Risk domains. These products are powered by an underlying analytics engine that has an emphasis on the rapid processing of large amounts of geospatial spatio-temporal data.
As we work on increasingly challenging problems the need to further enhance the geospatial analytics engine as well as refine and consolidate its architecture has become important.
As the successful applicant, your role is to maintain and enhance this core capability so that it can support further development of existing national and global scale products such as Spark and INDRA along with emerging similarly architected products in the flood and evacuation domains. The role will also play a key contribution to enhancing the backend architecture of products using the core analytics engine including the development of relevant API’s.
Your duties will include:
- Respect and enthusiasm for a multi-disciplinary and diverse team environment.
- Technical leadership in maintaining and enhancing the core geospatial analytics engine underpinning Data61’s Hazards and Climate Risk capabilities.
- Contribution to the development of backend API’s including relevant architecture for products underpinned by the geospatial analytics engine.
- Participation in and contribution to external and internal stakeholder engagement Nationally and Globally.
- Contribution to commercial projects in Data61 in the Hazard and Climate Risk domain as directed by the Team, Group and wider Data61.
Location: Melbourne, Vic
Salary: AU$100k - AU$108k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in computer science/software engineering with at least 3 years’ experience in working as a software engineer in a commercial setting.
- Demonstrable experience in the python scripting language especially in libraries such as numpy, scipy, xarray, gdal, rasterio and dask.
- Demonstrable experience in developing and maintaining REST based interfaces using Flask, Django.
- Demonstrable experience in writing OpenCL scripts.
- Demonstrable experience with programming in C/C++
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines.
- Experience with Celery and async processing.
- Maintaining and developing the existing codebase and tools for incorporation and dissemination of climate projections and other relevant geospatial datasets.
- Experience in analysing and processing climate and other geospatial datasets to meet stakeholders needs.
- Experience in dealing with large and complex datasets, preferably climate datasets, geospatial datasets using tools such as CDO, NCO and GDAL.
CSIRO thrives on innovation; innovation that is harnessed by the diversity of the minds and lived experiences brought to our greatest challenges. If you meet some, but not all requirements, we encourage you to submit your application.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to work in CSIRO you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or either hold, or be able to obtain, a valid working visa.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent. Additional integrity checks may be required for specific roles which require security clearance for working with children, Australian Government cybersecurity requirements or other identified security roles.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
24 October 2021, 11:00pm AEDT
- VIC - Melbourne
- AU$100k - AU$108k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time