- Full time, continuing role, based in Camperdown Campus
- Exciting opportunity to contribute teaching and research expertise in the area of secondary mathematics education learning and curriculum
- Base Salary $110,856 + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The Lecturer in Secondary Mathematics will contribute to teaching and research expertise in the area of secondary mathematics education, learning and curriculum for the Sydney School of Education and Social Work. The appointee should have classroom teaching experience in secondary school settings, knowledge of current relevant school curriculum as well as research expertise in a related area of mathematics education and be prepared to contribute to secondary teacher professional learning initiatives offered by the Faculty and/or STEM Teacher Enrichment Academy.
Key responsibilities include teaching, curriculum designing, planning, evaluation and unit co-ordination of Secondary Mathematics units of study in the Master of Teaching, and Bachelor of Education (Secondary): Mathematics/Bachelor of Science programs within the Sydney School of Education and Social Work while continuing to build their research contribution, expertise and impact.
- a PhD in an academic field relevant to mathematics education or other higher professional qualifications appropriate to their discipline
- deep and broad experience in teaching and learning mathematics, as evidenced by participation in teaching within an established education program and experience in teaching in a variety of settings including secondary and higher education
- demonstrated success in designing, implementing and evaluating mathematics curriculum and mathematics education teaching and learning initiatives
- a developing research profile evidenced by original, high-quality and independent research in mathematics education and/or a related discipline
- developing knowledge and understanding of the key strategic issues in the discipline and higher education sector
Closing date for applications
11.30pm, Monday 22 November 2021
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
This position is designated as involving child-related work. To undertake or remain in this position, you are required to apply for and obtain a Working with Children Check clearance in accordance with the Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012.
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
How to apply
Please address the following criteria questions in your cover letter:
- Please outline your experience in teaching and learning mathematics, as evidenced by participation in teaching within an established program and experience in teaching in a variety of settings including secondary and higher education
- Please demonstrate your success in designing, implementing and evaluating mathematics curriculum and mathematics education teaching and learning initiatives
- Please outline your research profile evidenced by original, high-quality and independent research in mathematics education and/or a related discipline
Applications (including a cover letter as per instructions above, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For any role specific questions, please contact Professor Janette Bobis at
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Paulina Rojas/Nicole Feain from Recruitment Operations, Human Resources at
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.