- Opportunity to be part of the successful Social Work and Policy Studies research and teaching program
- Located on the Camperdown Campus
- Full-time continuing, remuneration package: Level B $128K p.a., which includes leave loading and up to 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The Sydney School of Education and Social Work (SSESW) seeks to appoint a lecturer in Social Work. The successful applicant will teach within the Bachelor of Social Work and the Master of Social Work (Qualifying) programs, as well as into the postgraduate Human and Community Services and Social Work postgraduate programs in the School. The role involves: preparing students for professional practice, the supervision of students including those undertaking research projects within their degrees, honours and higher degrees and actively contributing to the ongoing development of the research profile of the School.
In this position, you will:
- design, teach, assess and coordinate undergraduate and postgraduate units of study
- contribute to student research supervision, including research higher degree students
- actively contribute to the ongoing development of the research profile of the School, including the pursuit of research grants and regular publication in journals of high standing
- supervise, mentor, support and develop student field education placements
- contribute to the ongoing qualitative review and improvement of content and perspectives in social work and policy studies education
- contribute to building collaborative and critical interdisciplinary approaches to social issues and social change
- consolidate and further develop community engagement and partnerships
- contribute to academic administration in the School.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Lecturer in Social Work and Policy Studies who possesses:
- a PhD in social work or relevant field
- a social work qualification and be eligible for membership of the Australian Association of Social Workers
- demonstration of a strong research trajectory
- demonstration of quality tertiary teaching experience in the field of social work or related area
- practice experience in human services or social policy
- the ability to further develop teaching expertise, and the ability and willingness to use ICT for teaching and learning
- experience supervising field education or professional experience placements across a range of settings
- understanding of Equal employment opportunity principles
- demonstrated excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, and the ability and willingness to contribute to professional and community collaborations and academic administration.
The position is full-time and subject to the completion of a satisfactory probation and confirmation periods.
The Sydney School of Education and Social Work (SSESW) is a national and international leader in Education, Social Work and Social Policy committed to: excellence in professional education; rigorous research-informed and theoretical understanding of the social, political and cultural contexts of education, social work and social policy; and informed and critical engagement with theory, policy and practice in ways designed to transform communities and individual lives in socially just ways. Our work is characterised by strong relationships between research, scholarship, teaching and learning that contribute to building partnerships for professional education and critical research, policy and practice collaborations.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 8,100 academic and non-academic staff who support over 73,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the position description available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit https://sydney.edu.au/about-us/careers-at-sydney.html and search by the reference number 807/0620C to apply.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
Closing date: 11:30pm, Wednesday 12 August 2020 (Sydney time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.