- Fantastic opportunity to further your career in business intelligence whilst supporting health research initiatives across NSW
- Located at Camperdown Campus and Westmead Hospital, Faculty of Health Sciences
- Full-time, fixed term opportunity for 12 months; base salary $90,160 - $98,225 p.a. plus superannuation
About the opportunity
This position works within The Research in Implementation Science and eHealth Group (RISe) within the Faculty of Health Sciences that carries out research and implementation projects. The Data Engineer provides business intelligence advice and development for the Research in Implementation Science and eHealth Group, contributing to the delivery of a data visualisation project in partnership with the Sydney West Translational Cancer Research Centre. The position is responsible for analysis and documentation of business intelligence requirements, development, testing and implementation of an analytic tool, and creation of associated dashboards to assist in clinical care delivery. The incumbent will work closely with business stakeholders and subject matter experts, ensuring effective collaboration and team work on the project.
More specifically, this project role is investigating the capacity of electronic health record (EHR) data to support
multidisciplinary teams (MDTs) in monitoring the delivery of evidence-based care and quality improvement. The position will require a minimum of 3 days a week at Westmead Hospital, with the other days based in the Charles Perkins Centre at the University.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Data Engineer who has:
- bachelor's degree in Business, Business Intelligence or related field
- extensive experience in all aspects of designing and delivering modern BI solutions - including visualisation, data discovery and self-service analytics
- demonstrated experience with a range of languages/tools that could include; R, SQL, Tableau, PowerBI, QlikView, SAS, Python, SPSS, Oracle, Hadoop, Unica, SSRS, SSIS, SSAS
- strong knowledge of database principals, relational database design, data warehousing, dimensional data modelling, big data and machine learning’
- experience working in a health/clinical setting, and understanding of hospital processes, systems and data collection
- a desire to achieve population health goals for improved health of the NSW community.
The Faculty of Health Sciences is the largest health sciences faculty in Australia, consisting of seven disciplines, five research themes (plus 3 cross-cutting themes), and four research centres. We are ranked number two in the world for sport, physical therapy and rehabilitation (QS subject rankings 2018). Our research ranks 'well above world class' (Excellence in Research for Australia level 5) and we rank 33rd in the world for health (T.H.E. World University Rankings 2015/16).
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 1068/0618F to apply.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
Closing date: 11:30pm 24 June 2018
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.