Faculty of Science
Reference no. 2320/1117
- Provide sound advice, technical support and assistance to researchers, students and other technical staff
- Provide service to maintain specialist research lab and teaching equipment and provide records of equipment repairs
- Full-time continuing, Camperdown/Darlington Campus, $84K pa (incl leave loading and 17%super)
About the opportunity
Reporting to Team Leader, Electronics, in this role you will provide technical support as requested by staff, and students. The support you will provide includes facilitating equipment repair, examining the setup and the operation of general lab and teaching equipment, advising on the effective operation of the labs and equipment maintenance, and so on. You will also make use of the mechanical workshop equipment to perform structural repairs and/or modifications to equipment and perform quality checks to ensure that it is fit for purpose. In addition to these, you will also support administering record of any maintenance activities performed into the appropriate systems, obtaining pricing and purchases materials for a project, and support the electronics staff for the completion of prototype projects during peak periods.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence.
To be considered, you will:
- hold current trade qualifications, electrical or electronic, with confirmable experience in equipment repairs
- provide detail of construction of new or custom electrical & electronic systems or equipment
- demonstrate a high level of client engagement and associated communication skills
- understand and be capable of interpreting the design and construction of digital and analogue circuits including customised PCB design
- have demonstrated experience with external suppliers and sub-contracting companies
- demonstrate an understanding of working practices to legislative or industry based electrical standards.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Please note: visa sponsorship is not available for this position
Closing date: 11.30pm 5 February 2018
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.