We are seeking a dynamic leader who can ensure progressive animal care, foster positive teamwork and culture whilst ensuring a great visitor experience.
- Ongoing full time position, based at Werribee Open Range Zoo
- Salary starting at $100,000 + 9.5% superannuation
- Monday to Friday roster with weekend Duty Officer shifts as required
Zoos Victoria operates three world-class Zoos, Healesville Sanctuary, Melbourne Zoo and Werribee Open Range Zoo. Zoos Victoria is committed to fighting extinction, working locally and globally to deliver tangible conservation outcomes. Our vision is to be the world's leading zoo-based conservation organisation.
Werribee Open Range Zoo has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, confident and enthusiastic Life Sciences Manager (LSM) to join the Natives Team. The Natives LSM will be responsible for and measured against success on progress across three keys areas:
- Team Focus: Leadership of the team keeping staff, particularly shaping the culture, supervision, management and skill/career development. Team culture is measured through monthly feedback.
- Animal Care: Ensuring a high standard of health and welfare of animals in the collection. Implementing constant husbandry learning and improvement, new training programmes with the training coordinator and annual welfare reviews. The wildlife includes some endangered species programmes where the key focus is supporting breeding and release programmes.
- Visitor Focus: The animal collection includes variety of native species whose purpose is visitor engagement with a key focus on sharing our care and compassion with visitors. The LSM will work closely with the Visitor Engagement Team to grow the visitor engagement and ensure the wildlife are sufficiently reliant enough to achieve their purpose.
The successful candidate will:
- Work within the Life Sciences Management Team and provide operational and strategic direction.
- Lead the Life Sciences Native Team responsible for Werribee Zoo's Native collection animals.
- Have excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills with proven experience promoting a positive team culture and engaging visitors
- Possess a sound knowledge of animal welfare principles, be accountable for ensuring animal's environments support their welfare needs and be committed to implementing animal training and enrichment programs.
- Lead the Native's Life Sciences Team in developing visitor experience programs that are integrated with animal care events and the activities of the Visitor Engagement Team, and have experience maintaining display exhibit standards.
The successful candidate will work with other Life Sciences Managers, the General Manager of Life Sciences and work collaboratively with other departments to deliver the objectives of the Life Sciences Department for Werribee Open Range Zoo. We are looking for an experienced manager with the skills to develop and maintain positive and participative staff relationships in a dynamic zoo environment.
For further information, please refer to the attached position description on our website zoo.org.au/hr under 'Current Vacancies'.
If you have any questions, please contact Dominic Moss: firstname.lastname@example.org P: 03 9731 9641
Applications close Wednesday 10 March 2021 at 5pm