Australian Academy of Science awards announced
The Australian Academy of Science has announced the 2013 winners of its annual awards for scientific excellence.
Honorific awards are presented to career researchers for life-long achievements and to outstanding early-career researchers under the age of 40. In addition, the Academy gives a number of awards for research and travel support.
In 2013, the Academy will give more than $127,000 in awards, travel and research support.
Most of the winners will receive their awards at the Academy's annual conference, Science at the Shine Dome, being held in Canberra from 29 to 31 May 2013, where they will be invited to make a short presentation of their work:
2013 Career research awards
- Professor Kenneth Freeman FAA FRS, Australian National University – Matthew Flinders Medal and Lecture for scientific research of the highest standing in the physical sciences (announced previously).
- Professor Peter Lay FAA, University of Sydney – David Craig Medal for research in chemistry.
- Professor Matthew Wand FAA, University of Technology Sydney – Hannan Medal for research in statistical science.
- Professor Cheryl Praeger AM FAA, University of Western Australia – Thomas Ranken Lyle Medal for research in mathematics or physics.
- Professor Roger Powell FAA, University of Melbourne – Jaeger Medal for research into earth sciences.
2013 Early-career research awards
- Dr Ulrike Mathesius, Australian National University – Fenner Medal for research in biology (excluding the biomedical sciences).
- Dr Benjamin Kile, Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research – Gottschalk Medal for research in the medical sciences.
- Professor Alexandra Filipovska, Western Australian Institute for Medical Research – Ruth Stephens Gani Medal for research in human genetics.
- Dr Lisa Alexander, University of New South Wales – Dorothy Hill Award for female researchers in the earth sciences including reef science, ocean drilling, marine science and taxonomy in marine systems.
- Dr Wouter Schellart, Monash University – Anton Hales Medal for research in earth sciences.
- Dr Aurore Delaigle, University of Melbourne – Moran Medal for research in statistics
Associate Professor Christopher Blake, Swinburne University of Technology – Pawsey Medal for research in physics.
- Professor Sébastien Perrier, University of Sydney – Le Fèvre Memorial Prize for research in basic chemistry.
2013 Research support awards
Dr Isaac Santos, Southern Cross University will receive research support under the WH Gladstone Population and Environment Fund.
The following researchers will receive research support under the Margaret Middleton Fund for endangered Australian native vertebrate animals:
- Mr Phil Bouchet, University of Western Australia
- Ms Amanda Edworthy, Australian National University
- Ms Claire Foster, Australian National University
- Mr Bastian Egeter, University of Otago, New Zealand
- Ms Jenny Molyneux, Charles Darwin University
- Ms Katrin Schmidt, James Cook University
2013 Travelling Fellowships
Dr Robert Warner, University of California, Santa Barbara has been awarded the Selby Travelling Fellowship for excellence in science.
Ms Julie Clutterbuck, Australian National University has been awarded the Inaugural AK Head Travelling Scholarship for Mathematical Scientists.
More information on the winners, awards and research support awards is available at www.science.org.au/awards/